QForm simulation of hollow profile extrusion. Profile velocity field
Extrusion processes allow production of long-length profiles with very complicated shapes with profile wall thickness up to 0,5 mm. Extruded profiles have some specific demands and it is impossible to produce these long profiles by any other kind of metal forming processes.
Aluminum profiles are used in all fields of life, from mobile phones bodies to railways cars and missile bodies. Aluminum extrusion production is ecologically sustainable, because aluminum is a fully recycled material.
The rising popularity of this kind of metal forming technology is increasing the complexity of extruded profile shapes and putting more demands on the production.
QForm Extrusion simulation program predicts material flow and helps estimate the quality of final production. The software is intended for simulation of any kind of profiles including solid and hollow profiles with shapes of any complexity. QForm Extrusion is the only software that takes into account the influence of die set deflection on the material flow.
Below are some specific features of QForm simulation of extrusion processes:
- Specially modified calculation by combined Lagrange-Euler approach
- Special thermally and mechanically coupled simulation of die set and material flow
- Special model of adhesion friction
- Special algorithms for finite element mesh generation adapted specifically for extrusion process simulation
Photo of the real profile
Simulation in QForm. Profile velocity field
- Prediction of defects in profile before production at the stage of die-set designing
- Die-set design for profiles with highly complicated shapes
- Quicker die set development and technology implementation due to making of all experiments on the computer
- Convenient interface for optimization of bearings heights which allows users to quickly and easily make correction of bearings based on the velocity distribution of extruded material in the simulation
- Prediction of temperature distribution along the profile as it exits the die to estimate over-cooled and over-heated areas of the extruded profile
- Prediction of surface defects on the profile
- Press selection and optimization of extrusion velocity for optimal productivity
- Direct interface with specialized extrusion die-set designing CAD system QForm Extrusion Die Designer (QExDD)
Special QForm features that help simulate extrusion process of thin-walled profiles
- Unique algorithms of coupled simulation of thermal and mechanical tasks takes into account the influence of die set deflection and thermal transfer on the material flow
- Calculation of angles (choke and relief) on bearings caused by die deflection
- Possibility to check deformed die orifice to control final dimensions of profile
- Prediction of longitudinal seam welds
- Estimation of the length of transversal seam welds
- Point tracking from container to profile
- Calculation of upsetting and die filling time
- Calculation of thermal stresses in extruded profile for estimation of its warping
Longitudinal seam welds prediction in QForm
Coupled simulation in QForm. Die set deflection. Cross cut section